MSD Manual

Please confirm that you are not located inside the Russian Federation

honeypot link

Overview of Food Poisoning

By

Gerald F. O’Malley

, DO, Grand Strand Regional Medical Center;


Rika O’Malley

, MD, Albert Einstein Medical Center

Last full review/revision Jul 2020| Content last modified Jul 2020
Click here for the Professional Version
Topic Resources

Food poisoning results from eating a plant or animal that contains a toxin.

  • The poisoning occurs after ingesting poisonous species of mushrooms or plants or contaminated fish or shellfish.

  • The most common symptoms are diarrhea, nausea, and vomiting and sometimes seizures and paralysis.

  • The diagnosis is based on symptoms and examination of the ingested substance.

  • Avoiding wild or unfamiliar mushrooms and plants and contaminated fish reduces the risk of poisoning.

  • Replacing fluids and ridding the stomach of the toxic substance are the best forms of treatment, but some substances are deadly.

Many disorders cause sudden vomiting and diarrhea due to inflammation of the digestive tract (gastroenteritis Gastroenteritis read more ). Sometimes people loosely refer to all of these disorders as "food poisoning." However, most vomiting and diarrhea is caused by a digestive tract infection from a virus or bacteria.

Gastroenteritis may also affect people who have ingested foods contaminated by external toxins, such as

Chinese Restaurant Syndrome

What is popularly called Chinese restaurant syndrome refers to symptoms such as facial pressure, chest pain, burning sensations throughout the body, and anxiety after eating Chinese food. These symptoms are thought to be a hypersensitivity reaction to monosodium glutamate (MSG), a flavor enhancer often used in Chinese cooking. This reaction is uncommon.

Treatment of Food Poisoning

Most people with food poisoning recover fully and rapidly with nothing more than replacement of fluids and electrolytes. As soon as symptoms begin, a person should try to consume large amounts of fluids. If fluids cannot be tolerated, the person needs to go to an emergency department for intravenous fluids.

If possible, it is often a good idea to rid the stomach of the toxic substance as quickly as possible. For most people, vomiting accomplishes this task.

Specific treatments are sometimes given when the toxin is known.

NOTE: This is the Consumer Version. DOCTORS: Click here for the Professional Version
Click here for the Professional Version
Others also read
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID

Test your knowledge

Electrical Injuries
Electric currents can cause injuries when they pass through the body. They can burn internal organs and tissues. They can disrupt normal electrical processes such as heart rhythms or nerve impulses. Contact with which of the following electric current sources poses the greatest danger?
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID

Also of Interest

Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
Download the Manuals App iOS ANDROID
TOP