1. Hold weight in hand on involved side.
2. Slightly bend hips and knees and support upper body with other hand placed on table or bed.
3. Bend elbow to 90° and raise elbow to shoulder height by retracting (squeezing) the scapula.
4. Return to start position.
5. Do 3 sets of 10 repetitions, 1 time a day.
6. Special instructions
a. Start with 1 to 2 pound (0.5 to 1 kg) weight (ie, a soup can).
Courtesy of Tomah Memorial Hospital, Department of Physical Therapy, Tomah, WI; Elizabeth C.K. Bender, MSPT, ATC, CSCS; and Whitney Gnewikow, DPT, ATC.