An insecticide (pesticide) is a substance used to kill bugs. The poison (toxin) in insecticides can make you sick.
Insecticide poisoning is sickness from swallowing, breathing in, or touching too much of an insecticide.
Call for emergency medical assistance (911 in most areas of the United States) if you or someone else may have insecticide poisoning, or call the poison control center for advice (1-800-222-1222 in the United States). The World Health Organization provides a world directory of poison centers.
Symptoms depend on the type of insecticide that poisoned you. There are two major types of insecticides:
Organophosphates and carbamates can cause:
Pyrethrins are usually less poisonous to people. Symptoms of pyrethrin poisoning include: